Smart Start Central Oklahoma is always looking for dynamic people who want to help Oklahoma's babies, young children, and families!
EARLY BIRDS INSTRUCTOR
Early Birds, a signature program of Smart Start, is a family support and school readiness program for parents-to-be, parents and caregivers of children from birth to five. Classes are offered for prenatal, birth-1, 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, and 4-5 age groups. After the prenatal class, families with children in each age group can attend classes three times per year with support available in between; a series of 16 classes are available. Classes cover developmental milestones, parent and child activities, everyday learning, purposeful parenting and discipline, and family health and wellness. Classes are available in both Spanish and English. With each class, families receive curriculum, activities, educational toys, and books to stimulate their child's development and learning. Early Birds Instructors build responsive parent-child relationships, promote positive early learning experiences, and empower parents and caregivers as their child’s first and most influential teacher by developing parenting, school readiness and life skills.
Complementary Background areas:
• Early Childhood Education and/or Child Development, degree and/or experience
• Current or previous Early Education teacher experience
• Counseling or Psychology, degree and/or experience
• Parent Educators
• Parenting coach or trainer
• Experience teaching diverse groups
• Energetic, encouraging and motivating
• Positive communication skills that build trusting relationships and promote social and emotional skills, discussion and collaboration
• Knowledge of Positive Redirection techniques
• Knowledge of Strengthening Families protective factors
• Commitment to a strengths-based approach to working with families
Early Birds instructors are trained in the Early Birds curriculum and must participate in ongoing professional development. Assistance with data collection is required.
This is a contract, part-time position. Most work is during evening and weekend hours. Classes are approximately 90 minutes and are offered in-person and virtually. In-person instructors must have reliable transportation. Virtual instructors must have a reliable internet connection and equipment.
Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Smart Start Central Oklahoma accepts 1-2 interns per semester. Interns may be at the undergraduate or graduate level. If you are interested in applying for an unpaid internship, please submit your resume along with a cover letter that includes your school name, the number of hours required, your career goals, and why you are interested in interning with SSCO. Applications should be emailed to Shannon Dennis at email@example.com.
The pandemic has changed the way we utilize volunteers. For more information, please contact Shannon Dennis at firstname.lastname@example.org.